Connect with us

Finanznachrichten

Fiat Chrysler reaches tentative labor deal with United Auto Workers

Veröffentlicht

auf


DETROIT (Reuters) – Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV (FCHA.MI) and the United Auto Workers (UAW) union on Saturday announced a tentative agreement for a four-year labor contract, a boost for the automaker as it works to merge with France’s Groupe PSA (PEUP.PA).

FILE PHOTO: Mike Manley, CEO of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA), and FCA Chairman John Elkann (R) speak next to a 2019 Ram Heavy Duty Power Wagon pickup truck at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, Michigan, U.S., January 14, 2019. REUTERS/Rebecca Cook/File Photo

Italian-American Fiat Chrysler and PSA, the maker of Peugeot and Citroen, last month announced a planned $50 billion merger to create the world’s fourth-largest automaker.

The tentative agreement with Fiat Chrysler, which is subject to ratification by the union members, follows contracts that the UAW already concluded with Ford Motor Co (F.N) and General Motors Co (GM.N).

The deal with GM followed a 40-day strike in the United States that virtually shuttered GM’s North American operations and cost the automaker $3 billion.

The UAW on Saturday said the contract with Fiat Chrysler included a commitment from FCA to invest $9 billion, creating 7,900 new jobs over the course of the four-year contract. Of the $9 billion, $4.5 billion was announced earlier this year, to be invested in five plants and creating 6,500 jobs.

Detailed terms of the tentative agreement were not released, but they are expected to echo those under the new contracts with GM and Ford, as the UAW typically uses the first deal as a pattern for the others.

“FCA has been a great American success story thanks to the hard work of our members,” UAW acting President Rory Gamble said in a statement. “We have achieved substantial gains and job security provisions for the fastest growing auto company in the United States.”

Ratification is not a sure thing. Rank-and-file UAW members at FCA in 2015 rejected the first version of a contract. In addition, a lawsuit related to a federal corruption probe could also raise doubts among union members about the terms agreed.

The federal corruption led GM to file a racketeering lawsuit against FCA, alleging that its rival bribed union officials over many years to corrupt the bargaining process and gain advantages, costing GM billions of dollars. FCA has brushed off the lawsuit as groundless.

Under the UAW’s deal with GM, the automaker agreed to invest $9 billion in the United States, including $7.7 billion directly in its plants, and to create or retain 9,000 UAW jobs.

Ford’s contract included commitments to invest more than $6 billion in its U.S. plants and to create or retain more than 8,500 UAW jobs.

The deals with GM and Ford also created a pathway to full-time employment for temporary workers and left healthcare insurance coverage unchanged.

Both automakers also agreed to signing bonuses, with $9,000 for full-time Ford workers and $11,000 for workers at GM.

Reporting by Nick Carey; Editing by Leslie Adler

Our Standards:The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.



Quelle

Weiterlesen
Klicken Sie, um zu kommentieren

Hinterlasse eine Antwort

Deine E-Mail-Adresse wird nicht veröffentlicht. Erforderliche Felder sind mit * markiert.

Finanznachrichten

Westpac economists now see RBA delaying rate cut to April

Veröffentlicht

auf

Durch


FILE PHOTO: A pedestrian looks at his phone as he walks past a logo for Australia’s Westpac Banking Corp located outside a branch in central Sydney, Australia, November 5, 2018. REUTERS/David Gray

SYDNEY (Reuters) – Analysts at Westpac Banking Corp (WBC.AX) now expect the Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) will cut interest rates in April, rather than February, following a second month of surprisingly upbeat jobs data.

In a note to clients, chief economist Bill Evans said the dip in unemployment to a nine-month low of 5.1% in December was probably enough to delay a cut.

“It is sufficiently strong a signal for the Board, which has emphasised the labour market as a key policy driver, to opt for a deferment of the rate cut process pending further information,” said Evans.

The RBA holds its next policy meeting on Feb. 4 and the market had already sharply scaled back the chance of an easing following Thursday’s employment report.

Reporting by Wayne Cole; Editing by Sam Holmes

Our Standards:The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.



Quelle

Weiterlesen

Finanznachrichten

Merkel gibt Klimaaktivisten Sukkurs | NZZ

Veröffentlicht

auf

Durch


Die deutsche Bundeskanzlerin stellt sich in ihrer Rede am WEF gegen Trump.

Die deutsche Bundeskanzlerin Angela Merkel hält am Donnerstag ihre Rede am Weltwirtschaftsforum (WEF) in Davos. 

Gian Ehrenzeller / EPA

Greta Thunberg gegen Donald Trump: So lautete das meistbeachtete, möglicherweise von den Medien etwas hochstilisierte Wortführer-Duell am Weltwirtschaftsforum (WEF). Am Donnerstag hat die 17-jährige Klimaschutzaktivistin Greta Thunberg Beistand in Gestalt der deutschen Bundeskanzlerin Angela Merkel erhalten. Diese legte sich in ihrer Rede für die jungen Umweltschützer ins Zeug – und garnierte ihre Worte mit Spitzen gegen den amerikanischen Präsidenten Donald Trump.

Manche Passagen hätten dabei von Thunberg stammen können. «Die Frage der Erreichung der Ziele des Pariser Abkommens könnte eine Frage des Überlebens sein», sagte Merkel etwa. Dort seien ja nicht mehr alle Länder dabei – aber viele, ergänzte sie in Anspielung auf den Ausstieg der USA. Europa stehe mit dem Ziel der EU-Kommission, zum ersten klimaneutralen Kontinent zu werden, ein «Jahrzehnt des Handelns» bevor. Die Rede setzte einen scharfen Kontrast zu jener Trumps, der die Ökoaktivisten als «Alarmisten» bezeichnet hatte. Am Donnerstag legte der US-Finanzminister Steven Mnuchin nach und riet, Thunberg solle an einem College Ökonomie studieren «und dann zurückkommen».

Auch in anderen Teilen der Rede hatte Merkel Kritik am US-Präsidenten eingebaut, ohne ihn direkt beim Namen zu nennen. Die Deutschen seien nicht von der Sorte, dass sie immer darüber redeten, was bei ihnen super laufe, sagte sie in einer Spitze gegen Trumps WEF-Rede am Dienstag. Der Präsident hatte dabei eine Lobeshymne auf die USA und sich selbst gesungen. Deutschland werde sich für den Multilateralismus einsetzen, sagte Merkel. Trump hatte am Rande des WEF derweil die EU aufgefordert, bald ein neues Handelsabkommen mit den USA abzuschliessen. Sonst drohten neue Strafzölle auf Autoimporte und weitere Waren.

Trotz dieser Rhetorik scheint Merkels Glanz als eine Art Gegen-Trump und europäisches Gesicht des Westens zu verblassen. Auch deshalb wird in Davos mit einiger Sorge die Zukunft Europas diskutiert. Bundesrat Ignazio Cassis hat am Donnerstag in einem Mediengespräch über ein geschlossenes Panel zu diesem Thema unter der Co-Moderation des Präsidenten des Europäischen Parlaments berichtet: «Natürlich ist jetzt die Position Europas in der Welt eine grosse Frage. Ich glaube, so ernsthaft habe ich die Diskussion über dieses Thema noch nie erlebt wie an diesem Treffen.» Ein wichtiger Fokus für Cassis ist am WEF auch die Position der Schweiz in Europa, konkret der Fahrplan beim institutionellen Rahmenvertrag. Brüssel habe Verständnis für die innenpolitische Situation der Schweiz, erklärte der Aussenminister: «Es braucht unter Freunden manchmal Geduld, etwas Gutes zu machen. Wir sind nicht an Olympischen Spielen: Es geht nicht um Sekunden. Aber Geduld ist endlich.» Es sei jetzt an der Schweiz, Vorschläge zur Klärung der drei offenen Punkte zu machen: Lohnschutz, Unionsbürgerrichtlinie und staatliche Beihilfen.

Das Ende der Geduld der EU lässt sich wohl auf die Abstimmung vom 17. Mai terminieren. Dann entscheiden Volk und Stände über die Begrenzungsinitiative der SVP gegen die Personenfreizügigkeit. «Die EU akzeptiert, dass bis dahin nicht viel läuft», sagte Cassis dazu. Es geht also am WEF durchaus auch um subtile Diplomatie und nicht bloss um medienwirksame Duelle.



Quelle

Weiterlesen

Finanznachrichten

Oil falls 2% as specter of China virus threatens fuel demand

Veröffentlicht

auf

Durch


NEW YORK (Reuters) – Oil prices fell more than 2% on Thursday on concern that the spread of a respiratory virus from China could lower fuel demand if it stunts economic growth, but losses were limited by a drawdown in U.S. crude inventories.

FILE PHOTO: Oil pump jacks work at sunset near Midland, Texas, U.S., August 21, 2019. REUTERS/Jessica Lutz

Brent crude LCOc1 futures lost $1.46, or 2.3%, to $61.75 a barrel by 11:12 a.m. EST (1612 GMT), after having touched $61.25 a barrel, lowest since early December.

U.S. West Texas Intermediate (WTI) crude CLc1 futures fell $1.45, or 2.6%, to $55.29 a barrel. The contract earlier fell to $54.77 a barrel, the lowest since November.

Two Chinese cities that were at the epicentre of a new coronavirus outbreak that has killed 17 people and infected nearly 600 were put in lockdown on Thursday as health authorities around the world scrambled to prevent a global pandemic.

The potential for a pandemic has stirred memories of the Sudden Acute Respiratory Syndrome outbreak in 2002-03, which also started in China and dented economic growth, causing a slump in travel.

“Such health issues represent significant impediments to normal travel and as a result, have forced the oil market to discount some significant weakening in jet and diesel fuel demand that is extremely difficult to measure until the spread of the health virus is contained,” said Jim Ritterbusch, president of trading advisory firm Ritterbusch and Associates.

With coronavirus cases detected as far as away as the United States, global stock markets also felt the effects of fears that the virus could spread further as millions of Chinese prepare to travel for the Lunar New Year this weekend. <MKTS/GLOB>

Beijing said on Thursday that it had canceled major public events, including two well-known Lunar New Year temple fairs, to curb the spread.

“We estimate a price shock of up to $5 (a barrel) if the crisis develops into a SARS-style epidemic,” JPM Commodities Research said in a note, citing historical oil price movements.

The U.S. bank maintained its forecast for Brent to average $67 in the first quarter and $64.50 throughout 2020.

Tempering losses, U.S. crude inventories USOILC=ECI fell 405,000 barrels last week, although gasoline stockpiles rose to their highest on record after 11 weeks of consecutive builds, the Energy Information Administration reported.[EIA/S]

“The report was modestly supportive,” said John Kilduff, partner at Again Capital LLC in New York.

China, meanwhile, released data on Thursday showing its gasoline exports rose by nearly a third last year thanks to new refineries.

This week, the International Energy Agency (IEA) said it expects a surplus of 1 million barrels per day in the first half of the year.

Additional reporting by Julia Payne in London and Aaron Sheldrick in Tokyo; Editing by Marguerita Choy and Bernadette Baum

Our Standards:The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.



Quelle

Weiterlesen

Trending

//onvictinitor.com/afu.php?zoneid=2954224
Auch auf dieser Seite werden Cookies verwendet. Wir können damit die Seitennutzung auswerten, um nutzungsbasiert redaktionelle Inhalte und Werbung anzuzeigen. Das ist für uns wichtig, denn unser Angebot finanziert sich über Werbung. Die Nutzung der Seite gilt als Zustimmung zur Cookie-Nutzung.
Accept