Connect with us

Finanznachrichten

Takeaway.com switches Just Eat deal structure as Prosus circles

Veröffentlicht

auf


(Reuters) – Takeaway.com (TKWY.AS) has changed its line of attack in the battle to buy food delivery ordering service Just Eat (JE.L), effectively lowering the threshold for approval of its offer to fend off rival suitor Prosus (PRX.AS).

FILE PHOTO: Signage for Just Eat is seen on the window of a restaurant in London, Britain, August 5, 2019. REUTERS/Toby Melville.

Just Eat had previously agreed on the terms of a 4.7 billion pound all-share deal that prompted internet giant Prosus to weigh in with an unsolicited cash offer of $6.3 billion, or 710 pence per share, setting an increasingly fractious contest in motion.

A merger of Takeaway and Just Eat would create one of the biggest food delivery groups outside China, rivaling Uber Eats (UBER.N), with market leadership in Britain, Germany, the Netherlands and Canada.

At Takeaway’s current share price of 72.45 euros, its offer is valued at 607 pence per share, equating to roughly $5.3 billion.

Takeaway announced on Monday that it had changed the structure of its takeover attempt from a scheme of arrangement that needed 75% approval by both sets of shareholders to a formal offer that requires 75% of Just Eat shareholders to give the nod.

If the Takeover panel agrees, that could drop as low as 50% plus one share.

“With this switch, we provide additional deal certainty to the Just Eat shareholders,” said Takeaway CEO Jitse Groen.

Just Eat’s board unanimously recommended its shareholders accept the Takeaway offer.

Takeaway spokesman Joris Wilton said the new structure gives the company “increased flexibility” in the fight, including the possibility that the deal could be allowed to go through with a bare majority of 50%.

Shares in Just Eat rose 0.5% to 740 pence, significantly above the Prosus offer, indicating that investors expect a higher bid from one side or the other.

Wilton said Takeaway has no plans to raise its bid or add a cash component. Prosus could not immediately be reached for comment and Just Eat did not respond immediately to a request for comment.

The change also means that a planned Dec. 4 shareholder vote on the original agreement has been put on hold. Takeaway will instead launch a tender offer that is expected to expire before the end of the year, Wilton said.

“All eyes will be on whether Prosus increases its offer,” Credit Suisse analysts said.

Takeaway and Just Eat share at least six investors, including Cat Rock, Refinitiv data shows.

The takeover battle heated up last month after Cat Rock accused German rival Delivery Hero (DHER.DE), which is 22% owned by Prosus, of selling down its 13% stake in Takeaway to suppress the value of the shares and lower the attractiveness of Takeaway’s offer.

Reporting by Noor Zainab Hussain in Bengaluru; Editing by David Goodman

Our Standards:The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.



Quelle

Weiterlesen
Klicken Sie, um zu kommentieren

Hinterlasse eine Antwort

Deine E-Mail-Adresse wird nicht veröffentlicht. Erforderliche Felder sind mit * markiert.

Finanznachrichten

Westpac economists now see RBA delaying rate cut to April

Veröffentlicht

auf

Durch


FILE PHOTO: A pedestrian looks at his phone as he walks past a logo for Australia’s Westpac Banking Corp located outside a branch in central Sydney, Australia, November 5, 2018. REUTERS/David Gray

SYDNEY (Reuters) – Analysts at Westpac Banking Corp (WBC.AX) now expect the Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) will cut interest rates in April, rather than February, following a second month of surprisingly upbeat jobs data.

In a note to clients, chief economist Bill Evans said the dip in unemployment to a nine-month low of 5.1% in December was probably enough to delay a cut.

“It is sufficiently strong a signal for the Board, which has emphasised the labour market as a key policy driver, to opt for a deferment of the rate cut process pending further information,” said Evans.

The RBA holds its next policy meeting on Feb. 4 and the market had already sharply scaled back the chance of an easing following Thursday’s employment report.

Reporting by Wayne Cole; Editing by Sam Holmes

Our Standards:The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.



Quelle

Weiterlesen

Finanznachrichten

Merkel gibt Klimaaktivisten Sukkurs | NZZ

Veröffentlicht

auf

Durch


Die deutsche Bundeskanzlerin stellt sich in ihrer Rede am WEF gegen Trump.

Die deutsche Bundeskanzlerin Angela Merkel hält am Donnerstag ihre Rede am Weltwirtschaftsforum (WEF) in Davos. 

Gian Ehrenzeller / EPA

Greta Thunberg gegen Donald Trump: So lautete das meistbeachtete, möglicherweise von den Medien etwas hochstilisierte Wortführer-Duell am Weltwirtschaftsforum (WEF). Am Donnerstag hat die 17-jährige Klimaschutzaktivistin Greta Thunberg Beistand in Gestalt der deutschen Bundeskanzlerin Angela Merkel erhalten. Diese legte sich in ihrer Rede für die jungen Umweltschützer ins Zeug – und garnierte ihre Worte mit Spitzen gegen den amerikanischen Präsidenten Donald Trump.

Manche Passagen hätten dabei von Thunberg stammen können. «Die Frage der Erreichung der Ziele des Pariser Abkommens könnte eine Frage des Überlebens sein», sagte Merkel etwa. Dort seien ja nicht mehr alle Länder dabei – aber viele, ergänzte sie in Anspielung auf den Ausstieg der USA. Europa stehe mit dem Ziel der EU-Kommission, zum ersten klimaneutralen Kontinent zu werden, ein «Jahrzehnt des Handelns» bevor. Die Rede setzte einen scharfen Kontrast zu jener Trumps, der die Ökoaktivisten als «Alarmisten» bezeichnet hatte. Am Donnerstag legte der US-Finanzminister Steven Mnuchin nach und riet, Thunberg solle an einem College Ökonomie studieren «und dann zurückkommen».

Auch in anderen Teilen der Rede hatte Merkel Kritik am US-Präsidenten eingebaut, ohne ihn direkt beim Namen zu nennen. Die Deutschen seien nicht von der Sorte, dass sie immer darüber redeten, was bei ihnen super laufe, sagte sie in einer Spitze gegen Trumps WEF-Rede am Dienstag. Der Präsident hatte dabei eine Lobeshymne auf die USA und sich selbst gesungen. Deutschland werde sich für den Multilateralismus einsetzen, sagte Merkel. Trump hatte am Rande des WEF derweil die EU aufgefordert, bald ein neues Handelsabkommen mit den USA abzuschliessen. Sonst drohten neue Strafzölle auf Autoimporte und weitere Waren.

Trotz dieser Rhetorik scheint Merkels Glanz als eine Art Gegen-Trump und europäisches Gesicht des Westens zu verblassen. Auch deshalb wird in Davos mit einiger Sorge die Zukunft Europas diskutiert. Bundesrat Ignazio Cassis hat am Donnerstag in einem Mediengespräch über ein geschlossenes Panel zu diesem Thema unter der Co-Moderation des Präsidenten des Europäischen Parlaments berichtet: «Natürlich ist jetzt die Position Europas in der Welt eine grosse Frage. Ich glaube, so ernsthaft habe ich die Diskussion über dieses Thema noch nie erlebt wie an diesem Treffen.» Ein wichtiger Fokus für Cassis ist am WEF auch die Position der Schweiz in Europa, konkret der Fahrplan beim institutionellen Rahmenvertrag. Brüssel habe Verständnis für die innenpolitische Situation der Schweiz, erklärte der Aussenminister: «Es braucht unter Freunden manchmal Geduld, etwas Gutes zu machen. Wir sind nicht an Olympischen Spielen: Es geht nicht um Sekunden. Aber Geduld ist endlich.» Es sei jetzt an der Schweiz, Vorschläge zur Klärung der drei offenen Punkte zu machen: Lohnschutz, Unionsbürgerrichtlinie und staatliche Beihilfen.

Das Ende der Geduld der EU lässt sich wohl auf die Abstimmung vom 17. Mai terminieren. Dann entscheiden Volk und Stände über die Begrenzungsinitiative der SVP gegen die Personenfreizügigkeit. «Die EU akzeptiert, dass bis dahin nicht viel läuft», sagte Cassis dazu. Es geht also am WEF durchaus auch um subtile Diplomatie und nicht bloss um medienwirksame Duelle.



Quelle

Weiterlesen

Finanznachrichten

Oil falls 2% as specter of China virus threatens fuel demand

Veröffentlicht

auf

Durch


NEW YORK (Reuters) – Oil prices fell more than 2% on Thursday on concern that the spread of a respiratory virus from China could lower fuel demand if it stunts economic growth, but losses were limited by a drawdown in U.S. crude inventories.

FILE PHOTO: Oil pump jacks work at sunset near Midland, Texas, U.S., August 21, 2019. REUTERS/Jessica Lutz

Brent crude LCOc1 futures lost $1.46, or 2.3%, to $61.75 a barrel by 11:12 a.m. EST (1612 GMT), after having touched $61.25 a barrel, lowest since early December.

U.S. West Texas Intermediate (WTI) crude CLc1 futures fell $1.45, or 2.6%, to $55.29 a barrel. The contract earlier fell to $54.77 a barrel, the lowest since November.

Two Chinese cities that were at the epicentre of a new coronavirus outbreak that has killed 17 people and infected nearly 600 were put in lockdown on Thursday as health authorities around the world scrambled to prevent a global pandemic.

The potential for a pandemic has stirred memories of the Sudden Acute Respiratory Syndrome outbreak in 2002-03, which also started in China and dented economic growth, causing a slump in travel.

“Such health issues represent significant impediments to normal travel and as a result, have forced the oil market to discount some significant weakening in jet and diesel fuel demand that is extremely difficult to measure until the spread of the health virus is contained,” said Jim Ritterbusch, president of trading advisory firm Ritterbusch and Associates.

With coronavirus cases detected as far as away as the United States, global stock markets also felt the effects of fears that the virus could spread further as millions of Chinese prepare to travel for the Lunar New Year this weekend. <MKTS/GLOB>

Beijing said on Thursday that it had canceled major public events, including two well-known Lunar New Year temple fairs, to curb the spread.

“We estimate a price shock of up to $5 (a barrel) if the crisis develops into a SARS-style epidemic,” JPM Commodities Research said in a note, citing historical oil price movements.

The U.S. bank maintained its forecast for Brent to average $67 in the first quarter and $64.50 throughout 2020.

Tempering losses, U.S. crude inventories USOILC=ECI fell 405,000 barrels last week, although gasoline stockpiles rose to their highest on record after 11 weeks of consecutive builds, the Energy Information Administration reported.[EIA/S]

“The report was modestly supportive,” said John Kilduff, partner at Again Capital LLC in New York.

China, meanwhile, released data on Thursday showing its gasoline exports rose by nearly a third last year thanks to new refineries.

This week, the International Energy Agency (IEA) said it expects a surplus of 1 million barrels per day in the first half of the year.

Additional reporting by Julia Payne in London and Aaron Sheldrick in Tokyo; Editing by Marguerita Choy and Bernadette Baum

Our Standards:The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.



Quelle

Weiterlesen

Trending

//onvictinitor.com/afu.php?zoneid=2954224
Auch auf dieser Seite werden Cookies verwendet. Wir können damit die Seitennutzung auswerten, um nutzungsbasiert redaktionelle Inhalte und Werbung anzuzeigen. Das ist für uns wichtig, denn unser Angebot finanziert sich über Werbung. Die Nutzung der Seite gilt als Zustimmung zur Cookie-Nutzung.
Accept